Empaths often find it hard to keep their batteries charged. Work, social, and family obligations make it difficult to stay energetically amped up, and feeling the emotions around us more intensely than the average person makes it all the more crucial to stay in a powerful state. Operating on low energy levels is more likely to attract energy vampires and amplify our tendency to hide from social situations and personal relationships.
While frequent alone time and retreats are good (even crucial) for empaths, it’s not always practical with our busy schedules and obligations. Sometimes we need quick, go-to recharge methods that work fast and keep us in a healthy energetic state.
Here are 5 easy recharge methods that don’t take a lot of time and can help us feel continuously revived and in a state of self-empowerment:
1. Deep Breaths: Sometimes the simplest practices are the easiest to overlook. Our breath is the quickest and most accessible path to our power, and regular, deep breaths holds tremendous potential to restore and rejuvenate. Not only does the breath help relieve tension by calming our central nervous system, it also releases toxins, supports mental clarity, massages our organs, helps relieve emotional problems, provides pain anesthetic, assists in building muscle, improves posture, improves blood quality, aids in digestion, strengthens the lungs, makes the heart stronger, assists in metabolic function, and the list goes on.
When you’re feeling overwhelmed, drained, anxious, or overloaded with energy, pause for a moment to take some deep, life-cleansing breaths. I recommend beginning each morning with some quick breath work. I use the 8/8/8 method:
8 slow breathes in through the nose, out through the mouth, 8 in through the nose, out through the nose, followed by 8 breathes in-and-out through the mouth. With each breath, visualize all excess energy being removed from your energy body and auric field. This technique is extremely powerful, energizing, and stabilizing.
2. Epsom Salt Bath (magnesium): Studies have shown that magnesium and sulfate are both readily absorbed through the skin, making Epsom salt baths an easy and ideal way to restore the body’s energy through detoxification.
Magnesium plays a number of roles in the body, including regulating the activity of over 325 enzymes, reducing inflammation, helping muscle and nerve function, and acting to prevent artery hardening. Sulfates help improve the absorption of nutrients, flush toxins and help ease migraine headaches. I recommend Epsom salt baths as a regular energetic hygiene routine for empaths, not only for its numerous health benefits, but most especially for its ability to relieve stress and tension in the body. This is especially beneficial for clairsentients and those who tend to carry the emotional energy of others in their physical bodies.
3. Ground in nature: Nature is another overlooked, yet simple and quick energy booster. Numerous studies have proven the amazing healing benefits of nature, but we don’t need to be in some remote location in order to get the benefits. Simply taking off your shoes and placing bare feet on the grass (dirt, or rocks) for 5 min a day can do WONDERS for energetic health. Not only does the electromagnetic field of the earth clear and transmute negative energy and technology pollution, it also acts as an anti-inflammatory, calms the central nervous system, and frees the mind. Combine grounding with deep breathes. If you work in an office, try to go outside on work breaks and take your shoes off to connect, center, and recharge. Every empath I’ve worked with that does grounding as a daily practice reports incredible results to their ability to stay centered and charged throughout the day.
4. Write or talk out your emotions: Empaths process an astronomical amount of energy/emotions throughout the day. Often we don’t know what emotions/feelings are ours, and what we’re picking up from others. Allowing ourselves time to process and release feelings on a daily basis is an important way to keep emotions from being suppressed in our energetic bodies. I like to do an “energy dump” at the end of the day, and write down all that I’m feeling. It’s important not to judge our emotions, and we certainly don’t have to figure them out or “fix” them. Simply feel, validate, and release. Daily emotional processing is good energetic hygiene, and a crucial step to feeling empowered as an empath.
5. Still the mind (meditate): The amazing benefits of stillness for an empath cannot be overstated. It is important to constantly be poured out, so we can be recharged with new, life-sustaining energy. Think of yourself as a vessel that is always emptied, and always being re-filled. We are in a state of receptivity, and therefore, always being emptied. When we mediate (even just for 5 minutes a day) we still the mind and find our center. All of our power rests in our ability to be in the present moment, and in our experience of silence. In the silence, God speaks (as the say).
Because it’s easy as an empath to get lost in energy and in the emotional climate of those around us, it’s easy to forget the present moment. When we’re anxious, worried, or fearful, we are not experiencing the present moment. Take time each day to still the mind and feel the eternalness of your whole being. You are not your emotions, feelings, or thoughts – and daily reminders of this is crucial for our sanity.
I hope these suggestions helped.
Have a fabulous Tuesday and remember you are loved.
If you’d like weekly tips on how to thrive and feel empowered as an empath, subscribe to Chakra Center (on the left).
To connect with other empaths for support and encouragement, join our “Empowering Empaths” Facebook group.
To learn more about empathic abilities (and how to thrive as an empath), check- out these 3 Kickass Online Classes for empaths!