Thanksgiving marks the beginning of the marathon that is the holiday season. It seems no matter what tradition you hail from, this is a busy time of year for all. Shopping, cooking, cleaning, baking; the to-do lists get longer and longer even though we keep checking tasks off day after day.
It won’t, the madness is self perpetuating and it is created in our minds. We are the only ones holding the proverbial whip, beating the proverbial drum, forcing ourselves to do all of these crazy rituals. On of the best ways to take notice of what’s going on is to take a step back and watch what’s going on.
To me the real purpose of the holiday season is to care for one another as we care for ourselves. But how do we care for others if we don’t even care for ourselves? Many have forgotten to do so or never knew how. Self love is the first step to loving mankind and embodying the spirit of the holiday season.
- Focus: Think good thoughts and have a positive focus. If you don’t enjoy what is happening or what you are thinking then please feel free to do and think something else. We need to do things that feel blissful in order to make others feel good.
- Sleep: Nothing keeps us in the best of spirits like a good dose of galactic energy. Sleeping, in whatever schedule works for you, is the second best way to gain this energy. Allow others to sleep in, they need it and so do you!
- Meditation: Quiet alone time, best spent on meditation is THE best way to get that juicy galactic energy! This can include traditional meditation, yoga, meditation walks, moments of mindfulness and sacred movement.
- Eat Light Foods: Light foods are anything that makes you feel satisfied without feeling heavy and lethargic afterwards. These include but are not limited to: Fruits, vegetables, teas (hot and cold), vegan and vegetarian dishes, gluten free desserts and my personal go-to, juicing!
Which brings me to the main focus here: Juicing. It is my personal opinion that juicing not only keeps your body in excellent conditions for all of those must do tasks, it also keeps your emotional state sky high. What better way to enjoy every possible moment and keep yourself in high spirits during the holiday season than to fuel yourself properly and feel your best? To me, this is the best possible way to help others: Get yourself so jacked up on good vibes others can’t help but be inspired to do the same.
But, BUT! If you don’t enjoy what you’re doing, even if it’s the best thing in the world for you, you’re not going to keep doing it. Plain and simple, make juicing as fun as it possibly can be. If you’re using a juicer from the last decade or a poorly put together product that spews juice all over the counter and really doesn’t DO what its supposed to then you’re not going to have an enjoyable experience. If the darn thing is so hard to clean that even taking it out of the cupboard brings on a small panic attack then you’re not going to use it and therefore you won’t get the benefits.
- Keep the juicer on the counter if at all possible. The more convenient the process the more you will be inspired to juice.
- Fill the sink with soapy water and put your produce in for a little soak. It’s a good idea to wash the produce properly even if it is organic, shipping is a dirty business.
- Wash, rinse and cut up your produce as needed. Have everything ready to go when you begin the juicing process. Juice: Giggling, laughing and snorting are a plus during this part, have fun with it.
- Do Not Juice Bananas! If you want bananas in there, put them and the finished juice in a blender and whip it up. I add stevia to almost all of my juices, I have a sweet tooth. Pour the juice into a pretty cup and stash any excess in the fridge although it is best to enjoy right away or share with friends.
- Remove all parts of the juicer/blender , rinse and place in the sink of soapy water and WALK AWAY! Go enjoy the fruits of your labor before you clean up.
Play some music or a video you have been wanting to listen to in the background. Again, we are trying for the most enjoyable experience possible. The last step is actually the most important part as far as I’m concerned.
The dishes will be there when you’re done, they really will.
When you enjoy your juice before clean up you are literally rewiring your brain. “Healthy stuff is easy!” That’s what your telling yourself. “I can do all that clean up stuff later!” I swear, unless you live with your parents like I do, you’re mother is not going to storm in your front door and make you wash all your dishes right away. And if she does, SO WHAT!
As my father so succinctly pointed out the other day, “Thanksgiving is just training camp for Christmas.” Enjoy life, enjoy the holidays, and most of all enjoy yourself. Namaste.