Raw Fruit & Nut Slab
A quick, easy, and delicious raw food recipe that is great to have around when cravings arise.
Keep in the fridge to have at hand. This will give you a boost of essential minerals, and it’s high in magnesium which will calm your system and leave you feeling blissed out.
Combine raw chocolate and mediation and you’ll be floating away.
- 1 cup of melted Raw cacao butter
- ¼ cup of Raw cacao powder
- 2-3 tbsp of Agave syrup, or 2 dropperful’s of Nu Natural’s stevia.
- ½ cup of Chopped Almonds, Hazelnuts, pecans raisins & dates
Melt the Cacao Butter over some hot water in a bowl (you can grate it first so it melts faster). Once melted, add in the Cacao powder and whisk to a smooth lump free texture, then add in your sweetener of choice. (Experiment with how sweet you like it)
Then for your chocolate mold of choice: I use a rectangle tupper-ware box. Pour in so that the chocolate mix is about ½ inch thick.
Then add the chopped fruit and nut, sprinkling onto the chocolate spreading evenly.
Pop into the freezer for 20 minutes. Once the chocolate has become solid, you can push it from the mold and cut into bite size chocolate chunks.
Reasons to eat Raw Chocolate:
Cacao has more antioxidant flavonoids than any food tested so far, including blueberries, red wine, and black and green teas. In fact, it has up to four times the quantity of antioxidants found in green tea. Health benefits of these antioxidants include:
- Promote cardiovascular health – Help dilate bloods vessels, reduce blood clotting, improve circulation, help regulate heartbeat and blood pressure, lower LDL cholesterol, and reduce the risk of stroke and heart attacks.
- Protect from environmental and metabolic toxins – Help repair and resist damage caused by free radicals, and may reduce risk of certain cancers.
- Neurotransmitters: By increasing the levels of specific neurotransmitters in our brains, cacao promotes positive outlook, facilitates rejuvenation and simply helps us feel good.
- Serotonin – Cacao raises the level of serotonin in the brain; thus acts as an anti-depressant, helps reduce PMS symptoms, and promotes a sense of well-being.
- Endorphins – Cacao stimulates the secretion of endorphins, producing a pleasurable sensation similar to the “runner’s high” a jogger feels after running several miles.
- Phenylethylamine – Found in chocolate, phenylethylamine is also created within the brain and released when we are in love. Acts as mild mood elevator and anti-depressant, and helps increase focus and alertness.
- Anandamide – Anandamide is known as the “bliss chemical” because it is released by the brain when we are feeling great. Cacao contains both N-acylethanolamines, believed to temporarily increase the levels of anandamide in the brain, and enzyme inhibitors that slow its breakdown. Promotes relaxation, and helps us feel good longer.
- Essential Minerals: Cacao beans are rich in a number of essential minerals, including magnesium, sulfur, calcium, iron, zinc, copper, potassium and manganese.
- Magnesium – Cacao seems to be the #1 source of magnesium of any food. Magnesium balances brain chemistry, builds strong bones, and helps regulate heartbeat and blood pressure. Magnesium deficiency, present in 80% of Americans, is linked with PMT, hypertension, heart disease, diabetes and joint problems.
- Sulfur – Cacao is high in the beauty mineral sulfur. Sulfur builds strong nails and hair, promotes beautiful skin, detoxifies the liver, and supports healthy pancreas functioning.
- Essential fats: There is a misperception that chocolate is fattening. In truth, the fats in cocoa butter are healthy fats. Cacao contains oleic acid, a heart-healthy monounsaturated fat, also found in olive oil that may raise good cholesterol. Also, substances found in cacao are known to help reduce appetite.
Important note- Raw Chocolate is a healthy treat but like any natural stimulant it’s not a good idea to have daily, especially for super sensitive beings.
Sarah Hook (a.k.a “The Juice Lady”) is a Holistic health coach, Raw Food Chef, and Creator of Juice Rehab – The Juice Detox. She’s also our “Tuesday’s Tasty Treat” lady at Chakra Center. She is passionate about helping people feel and look their best, and is on a mission to get the world to drink Green Juice. She lives in the UK.